Your lower back is one of the most injured body parts in humans. It is also the second most common cause of disability in the United States. It was estimated that roughly 1/10 people suffer from chronic low back pain lasting for greater than 3 months, and about 80% of Americans will have back pain at some point in their lifetime.
YOU DO NOT TO BE A LIFTER OR MANUAL LABORER TO HAVE BACK PAIN!
As the graphic (above) indicates, there is considerable load placed into the low back with slouching standing positions, HOWEVER, the greatest load placed into the lower back comes from poor posture in SITTING.
The Quadratus Lumborum
The above image is a picture looking at your back without the superficial muscles. Notice how big this muscle is?
The Quadratus Lumborum (QL) is a huge part of why your back can hurt. Let me explain.
In the presence of back pain, the QL can tighten which can give you the sensation of either specific or diffuse pain in your back.
What to do about your back pain?
It has been shown numerous times that conservative management consisting of properly controlled exercise and other Physical Therapy interventions are equally as effective, or even more effective than surgery for treating back pain. Some of my favorite tips and trick for back pain are:
1. Try to get up and move every now and then before your back starts hurting.
3. Ensure that you do not stop moving in the presence of back pain.
4. Really think about what caused your pain… Was it too much sitting? Too much Standing? Too much movement? Now try and do a little bit of the opposite of what caused your pain.
5. If you haven’t yet, please join our new Facebook Group for Free resources:
Benefits of Physical Therapy
- Potentially avoiding a painful surgery that requires one to miss work or hobbies.
- No complications from surgery.
- YOU become educated precisely WHY your back is hurting.
- Most Importantly, you get your life back.
Check Out Our FREE Ebook! Guaranteed to Help You Better Understand Your Core!
Other Related Blog posts
This is a question that I do receive a lot. Making progress in the gym is what we all want. Some like to build muscle; some like to lose fat; some want to lift more weight…. Some want it all! But how do we know if we are moving forward in our routine and not...
Posture is so much more important than sitting wrong or right. Posture has real effects on your entire body. Poor posture can potentially affect your: Age- If your shoulders are forward Range of motion- With a forward head and rounded shoulders, your ability to...
Healthy habits for your home or work office. Your workstation is so important to your productivity, wellbeing, and peace of mind! With a proper home or work office setup, you might feel that you are ready to take on the world! With an improper setup,...